Jacksonville Beach DUI Attorney
If you have been arrested for DUI in the Beach Cities area, put our experienced DUI lawyers to work for you. A conviction for driving while intoxicated can come with substantial fines, loss of your license, and even jail time.
Hiring a DUI lawyer quickly is important. You only have 10 days from the time of your arrest to apply for a hardship license and work permit. Many people are unaware that Florida law requires DUI convictions to remain on your record for 75 years. Given this, it’s critical that you hire the right defense attorney to protect you from the lifelong repercussions of a DUI conviction. We will evaluate every aspect of your case in our attempt to minimize the consequences or, depending on the circumstances, may prevail at getting charges dismissed.
Florida DUI Laws
Depending on where you have lived in the U.S., you may be familiar with different terms regarding alcohol and drugs while operating a vehicle.
Some of the most common drunk while driving terms are:
- DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
- DWI (Driving While Impaired)
- OWI (Operating While Intoxicated)
- OUI (Operating While Under the Influence)
Some states have legal definitions for each of these terms and the consequences for conviction can vary. In Florida, DUI and DWI are sometimes used interchangeably, but DUI is the only legal term recognized in this state. Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) in Florida for DUI is .08. Penalties are stiffer when BAC is .15 or higher.
The punishment for a DUI conviction is based on several factors, including whether you have prior DUI convictions. Loss of your driving license (revoked 180 days to permanent), mandatory treatment and DUI education programs, fines and imprisonment are just a few of the consequences. Below is a basic overview and is far from exhaustive. Florida’s DUI laws are complex. Our skilled Jacksonville Beach DUI lawyers can explain in more detail when you meet with us for a consultation.
- First DUI conviction fines reach up to $1,000 and can be sentenced to up to six months in prison.
- Second DUI conviction results in fines up to $2,000 and nine months in prison. After a second conviction, an ignition interlock device (where you must successfully pass a breathalyzer test in order to operate the vehicle) is placed in your car for a minimum of one year.
- Third DUI conviction penalties depend on whether more or less than 10 years has passed since the previous conviction but can include a third-degree felony; an ignition lock device is placed on your car for a minimum of two years.
- Fourth DUI conviction, regardless of the amount of time that has passed since the previous occurrence, commits a third-degree felony.
- Anyone guilty of DUI that causes the death of someone or an unborn child will be charged with DUI manslaughter. Statistics from 2018 show that about 26% of all vehicle fatalities in Florida involve DUI. The national average is closer to 29%.
Can I Be Arrested for DUI When Not Driving?
Yes, you can. Florida law only requires that you be in “actual physical control” of the vehicle. That means you could be in park, even asleep, and still be arrested and potentially convicted of DUI. You also don’t have to be operating a vehicle. You can be arrested for DUI when on a bicycle, golf cart, or other transportation mode.
Why Choose Porter?
The Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. offers experienced and aggressive attorneys to defend you throughout the justice process and minimize the penalties you face after arrest.
- 90+ years of combined legal experience
- Three members of our firm are former DUI prosecutors
- Former law enforcement officer and DMV DUI hearing officer on staff
- 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating for knowledge & skill
Serving Clients Throughout the Beach Cities Area, Including Ponte Vedra Beach, Neptune Beach, and Atlantic Beach
When arrested for DUI, there are two cases brought against you. The first is an administrative hearing before the DMV, which considers your ability to drive and license suspension. Having one of our skilled lawyers at this hearing is crucial to defend your ability to drive.
The second is a criminal case before the court, which determines guilt and imposes penalties. Our attorneys, with experience in various aspects of criminal law, can aggressively argue to keep you out of jail and lower potential fines.
Representing You Without Judgment
The Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. knows a DUI arrest does not define you but also understands how devastating a DUI conviction can be to your work and relationships. Our DUI defense strategy centers on your specific circumstances and developing legal tactics that best serve you.
Call (904) 701-0591 today to schedule a consultation with a Jacksonville Beach DUI lawyer.
Jacksonville Beach Office
484 Osceola Ave
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
*By Appointment Only
A Guided, Hands-On Approach
Step-by-Step Guidance for Any Legal Matter
A Compassionate Team
Your Story Matters - We're Here to Listen
90+ Years of Combined Legal Experience On Your Side
Top-Rated Ethics & Legal Skill – AV Preeminent® Rating
Trusted & Recommended
Trusted by the Media & Recommended by Our Clients
Top-Rated Personal Injury, DUI, & Criminal Defense Lawyer