Jacksonville Family Law Mediation Attorney
Avoid Court – Choose Mediation!
The divorce process can create emotional, legal, and financial setbacks, which can leave you feeling overwhelmed and helpless in the fight to settle your marriage. The conflicts that arise force you to go to court, putting your divorce settlement in the hands of a judge. That is why you need to take steps to avoid the additional time, finances, and stress that come with the court process by undergoing an alternative way to settle your divorce.
At the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A., we offer insightful mediation services, helping you and your spouse settle outside of all the court chaos. Our Jacksonville family mediation lawyers encourage open communication and promote effective decision making, while brainstorming and guiding the couple through the process.
Is Mediation Right for My Divorce?
Through mediation, you and your spouse will sit down to discuss various aspects concerning your divorce with the presence of a mediator who is a neutral third party member. The mediator provides guidance and insight regarding fair settlements for both parties. The mediation process has an organized and direct approach to settle your marriage and strives toward reaching mutual agreements.
The various topics discuss include some of the following:
To begin the process, tax documents, mortgage information, financial statements, insurance policies, and other documents will be gathered. Also, both spouses will express their goals, various concerns, and priorities they have to ensure each spouse is clear about their overall objectives. Then negotiating will begin until agreements are met. If the mediation process is not successful, a couple may have to go to court to have their divorce settled.
How to Prepare for Mediation
While it is possible to settle and avoid litigation through mediation, this doesn’t just happen by chance. Both parties must do their due-diligence and actively prepare for their upcoming session(s). Here are several recommendations that we suggest so that you are thoroughly prepared for your divorce or family law mediation matter:
- Make the first offer: those who prepare themselves to make the first offer in negotiation often find themselves more satisfied with the final settlement. This is because the terms of the negotiation are often “anchored” in discussion, and it gives the other party a range to work with.
- Make a list: identify the key interests in your dispute and prioritize your claims. This will help you address what topics are worth pursuing and discussing.
- Ask your attorney: discussing your upcoming mediation session with your attorney can be critical to your success. Even if your lawyer does not attend the session, he or she can provide invaluable guidance.
- Get your finances in order: if your finances are shaky, proceeding with litigation may be risky, especially with attorney and court fees.
- Keep an open mind: for mediation to work, both parties must be in mutual agreement. This can be tough, especially with the emotions that come with divorce. Having an open mind can expedite the mediation process and keep the lines of communication clear.
- Be honest: due to the confidentiality of mediation, this is your opportunity to be honest and upfront. Just remember to be respectful to both the mediator and opposing party. Couples who are honest with one another not only see better results, they give their relationship a better chance of retaining respect towards each other.
Is Mediation Required in Florida?
Florida is one of the few states that requires mediation for divorce or family law matters. While mediation is not guaranteed to work for every couple, it can help save time, money, and stress. In addition, mediation does not require an attorney to be present. However, having a divorce mediation lawyer by your side can improve your chances of receiving a proper settlement for issues pertaining to custody, child support, alimony, etc.
Don't Wait - Call (904) 701-0591 Now for Trusted Counsel!
At the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A., we aim to settle your divorce as effectively and efficiently possible, without having to go to court. Our dedicated Jacksonville divorce mediation attorney can assist you, providing exceptional legal guidance and personalized advice throughout each step.
If you wish to receive future information regarding your divorce, do not hesitate to contact our firm today.
Thousands of Clients HelpedPowerful Stories From Real People
Ms. Carlucci provides great support and promotes collaboration with her clients.
Nicole Carlucci is truly excellent in her profession.
Nicole Carlucci is an absolutely amazing attorney.
The Porter DifferenceSix Reasons to Pick Porter™
A Guided, Hands-On Approach
Step-by-Step Guidance for Any Legal Matter
A Compassionate Team
Your Story Matters - We're Here to Listen
Approximately 100 Years of Combined Legal Experience On Your Side
Top-Rated Ethics & Legal Skill – AV Preeminent® Rating
Trusted & Recommended
Trusted by the Media & Recommended by Our Clients
Top-Rated Personal Injury, DUI, & Criminal Defense Lawyer