Weapons Offense Attorney in Jacksonville
Defense Against Weapons Violations in Florida
Are you facing weapons charges in Jacksonville? If so, it’s important to protect your rights under the Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 8 of the Florida Constitution. Even though Florida has generous gun laws compared to other states, for example, citizens are NOT required to register their firearms, the penalties for violating one of the state’s gun laws can be severe and have life-altering consequences.
All Floridians should be aware that if they commit a crime and they use a firearm while committing the offense, they can face enhanced penalties. Under Section 775.087(1) of the Florida Statutes, whenever someone is charged with a felony offense, and during the commission of the crime they carry, display, use, threaten to use, or attempts to use a firearm, the crime will be elevated as follows:
- A felony of the first degree will be elevated to a life felony
- A felony of the second degree will be elevated to a first degree felony
- A felony of the third degree will be elevated to a felony of the second degree
Prohibited Possessors in Florida
There are laws in place at both the federal and state levels to prevent certain individuals from gaining possession of firearms. These laws are in place for two reasons: to prevent violence and to punish criminals. Federally speaking, a person would be prohibited from gun ownership if they:
- Have a felony conviction
- Have been convicted of certain domestic violence crimes that are classified as misdemeanors
- Have court orders due to domestic violence cases or grave mental illnesses
The state of Florida does not allow people to purchase or possess firearms if they:
- Have any felony convictions or if they are younger than 24 and have been convicted of a crime that would be a felony if committed by someone older than 24
- Have received a final injunction that is still in effect and intended to prevent that person from continuing to commit domestic violence
- Are considered a violent career criminal under Florida law, which essentially means they have committed multiple felonies in a short amount of time
- Have been legally considered mentally unwell (conserved people, prior mental institution stays, etc.)
- Are under a protection order that specifically states they cannot possess or attempt to possess a firearm for the duration of the order
Florida recently legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Because marijuana is still considered a controlled substance in Florida, people who use it (even legally for medical purposes) cannot ship, receive, or possess a firearm. It is also illegal to sell a firearm to anyone who uses controlled substances.
Gun Charges in Jacksonville, Florida
If someone is caught possessing or using a gun in an illegal manner in Florida, they can expect severe consequences. The consequences for such an act depend on the exact circumstances surrounding the crime as well as the nature of the crime, however, some of the potential charges include:
- 3rd degree felony charges for carrying a concealed firearm without a license. 3rd degree felony convictions can lead to a prison sentence of up to 5 years, and/or a fine of up to $5,000.
- Up to 1 year in prison and/or a fine of up to $1,000 for improper exhibition of a firearm, which is when someone uses a firearm in a manner that is careless or threatening.
- Up to 15 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000 for possession of a firearm by someone who is a convicted felon.
Such charges have enhanced penalties if the weapon in question was used during a crime that had been commissioned:
- If the person accused possessed a firearm, a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years will be given
- If that weapon was fired, the mandatory minimum sentence will be increased to 20 years
- If the discharge of the weapon resulted in someone becoming injured or dying, the mandatory minimum sentence will be increased to 25 years in prison
Why Jason K.S. Porter for Weapons Defense?
In the face of weapons charges, you need a strong legal defense. Our founding attorney, Jason K.S. Porter, Esquire has garnered a reputation for excellence in the field of criminal law. In the legal community, his peers have recognized him with the Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating®, and he has been awarded a 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating in criminal defense.
The above recognitions demonstrate Attorney Porter’s high standard of excellence in the legal field. Going further, with approximately 100 years of collective experience, our legal team stands ready to defend you against gun-related charges in Jacksonville.
Schedule your free case evaluation – contact us online or call (904) 701-0591 today.
Thousands of Clients HelpedPowerful Stories From Real People
him and his team have WON EVERY CASE for me
I was very impressed with Mr. Porter & his staff.
He is an awesome and very genuine guy.
After our meeting in person, I was absolutely pleased in choosing The Porter Law Firm to represent my Deaf sister in her auto accident injury case!!! We look forward to working with Mr. Watson...who is a very, very kind, respectful, and informative Attorne
I was treated with the utmost respect and graciousness. I was always kept informed and if I ever had a question or needed anything the staff was amazing at assisting me.
10/10 recommend- especially if you don’t want to leave the beach!
They are professional, knowledgeable, and willing to work hard to get the job done.
I really felt like he cared about the outcome for me.
Jonathan Thacher made me feel like I had someone on my side from beginning to end.
Jon Lorimier is an amazing and knowledgeable lawyer.
They will work with you and fight for you.
If you are in need of an attorney, you won't go wrong with Jason.
I am grateful to have received such a terrific recommendation, and I'm happy to have met Mr. Watson.
He definitely knows his stuff and because of that, we were able to get a fair and reasonable outcome in the matter.
You really took years of stress off my shoulder and I can finally have clarity in my mind.
Throughout the whole process, he was responsive and dedicated and he made it seem like I was the only case he was dealing with.
They were professional, attentive, and got me an acceptable settlement in a timely manner.
They were honest, personable, reasonable, and effective.
Edward & Sondra A.
Jonathan made us feel comfortable and confident that he would work diligently on our behalf.
They were very kind and extremely knowledgeable AND patient.
Jonathan Thacher was definitely there when I needed a lawyer.
Ms. Carlucci provides great support and promotes collaboration with her clients.
Every time I have "Picked Porter" I have received ethical advice and excellent legal representation.
I give them 5-stars!
This firm is head and shoulders above anyone.
Jason Porter is the best attorney in Jacksonville!
Although I hope to never need their services again, if I do, I will definitely be giving them a call.
Attentive, patient and caring service.
Thank you guys for a job well done.
I will definitely be using them again if I ever need to!
We picked Porter and glad we did!!!
He is a seasoned professional that is respected within the law community.
Mr. Porter was so nice and explained everything in a way that I could understand.
He prepared our family through each and every step.
Nicely Done! Success has been reached!
So grateful for the help they gave me
Nicole Carlucci is truly excellent in her profession.
Jason is the best lawyer in Jacksonville.
Mr. Porter and his staff are fantastic.
The experience was just wonderful! We would recommend them 10 times over.
Mr. Porter and his staff do an incredible job!
Nicole Carlucci is an absolutely amazing attorney.
My life is in a much better place today because of Jason's integrity within the community and relationships with the judges & ...
Mr. Porter and his staff were wonderful.
You couldn't find a better lawyer anywhere.
Compassionate Caring and Honest
The best attorneys you will find. I love you guys!
Aggressive and Compassionate. Highly Recommend.
The best attorney out there by far!
I would refer anyone to this firm
Jason Porter excellent attorney
I love this law firm...
Diane and Richard
This Legal Team is Wonderful!
Jason Porter is superb.
Jason is the most diligent attorney
The Best I Could Imagine!!!
Thanks for everything.
Glad We Picked Porter!
I will never be able to thank Jason Porter enough.
Jason and his staff were very professional.
Jason answered all my emails and phone calls.
When needed, you answered my questions clearly and politely.
He is our family attorney forever.
Mr. Porter was very friendly and knowledgeable.
The Porter DifferenceSix Reasons Why You Should Pick Porter™
A Guided, Hands-On Approach
Step-by-Step Guidance for Any Legal Matter
A Compassionate Team
Your Story Matters - We're Here to Listen
Approximately 100 Years of Combined Legal Experience On Your Side
Top-Rated Ethics & Legal Skill – AV Preeminent® Rating
Trusted & Recommended
Trusted by the Media & Recommended by Our Clients
Top-Rated Personal Injury, DUI, & Criminal Defense Lawyer