Trusted Criminal Defense Attorneys in Jacksonville, FL
A seasoned criminal lawyer from our team will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding your arrest to seek out and challenge any flaw or weakness in the prosecution's case.
Many crimes carry with them significant social stigma and, therefore, the risk of prejudicial treatment and the miscarriage of justice. That is why it is important for you to secure effective legal representation in such cases.
We understand that your freedom and future may be at stake when you are facing criminal charges. The team of attorneys at the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. can develop a personalized strategy for your particular circumstances and mount an aggressive defense against the charges.
Our criminal defense firm in Jacksonville has successfully represented clients in a range of criminal matters, including:
- Assault: Florida Statutes § 784.011 defines “assault” as “an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.” Assault may broadly cover a number of related crimes, including aggravated assault, domestic abuse, and sexual assault.
- Domestic violence: Under Florida Statues § 784.28, “domestic violence” broadly covers crimes such as assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, and other offenses involving the death or physical injury, committed between family or household members.
- Drug crimes: Florida Statutes § 893.01 et seq. concerns the prevention and control of drug abuse. Offenses related to drug crimes include drug possession, delivery, prescription forgery, and the use of drug paraphernalia. The severity of the penalties for drug crimes varies depending on the circumstances, such as the quantity of the drugs involved, the involvement of dangerous weapons, or minor children.
- DUI: According to Florida Statutes § 316.193, a person may be convicted of driving under the influence not only for drinking and driving but also for driving under the influence of drugs, or exceeding the blood-alcohol limit of 0.08 or more grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood of 210 liters of breath.
- Speeding tickets: Criminal offenses regarding the operation offenses can be found under Title XXIII (Motor Vehicles) and Title XLVI of Florida’s Statutes (Crimes). Florida Statute § 316.183 provides that “No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance or object on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.”
- Theft crimes: Florida Statutes § 812.014 provides that “[a] person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently… [d]eprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property…[or to] deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.” Other offenses related to theft include shoplifting, robbery, insurance fraud, credit card fraud, and computer fraud.
- Violent crimes: Crimes regarding subjecting another person or their property to violence involve serious penalties. Such crimes include homicides, assault, battery, including sexual abuse. The legal repercussions for violent offenses may be significantly higher in cases involving the use of deadly weapons.
- Gun & weapons charges: Under Florida, there are criminal penalties related to specific acts involving firearms and deadly weapons. Such crimes include the unlawful possession, discharge, of a firearm, or other destructive devices. Additionally, the punishment for other crimes may be greater in cases involving guns and other dangerous weaponry. Florida Statutes § 775.087 provides for the elevation of an offense to a felony when the defendant has used or threatened to use a firearm.
How a Defense Attorney from Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. Can Help
Our firm provides a multitude of services from pre-file investigations to expungements. The sooner you contact our firm after your arrest, the better. By doing so, a criminal defense attorney will be able to conduct pre-file investigations in order to compile the necessary evidence to present a strong defense against your charges.
After pre-file investigations, our criminal defense team sticks closely with clients and keeps an open line of communication with them. How a defense attorney deals with their client through each hearing as well as out of the courtroom is extremely important.
Our firm has committed itself to coming alongside each of our clients to build a close relationship. When there is a healthy attorney / client relationship, there is a better chance of a case achieving a favorable outcome.
Even after your case is finished, our firm can assist in some post-case issues such as expungements. This is the process of record-sealing that is available to some qualifying individuals. While individuals can file on their own without the help of an attorney, there is a greater chance of denial. For those that want to get their criminal records sealed, you can look to the Jacksonville criminal defense lawyers at Jason K.S. Porter, P.A.
Speak with a Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
Criminal charges can carry serious penalties on conviction. A criminal conviction on your record alone can have a significant negative impact on your future employment and education opportunities. Let our dedicated criminal lawyers in Jacksonville FL protect your rights and fight aggressively for the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact us for skilled and aggressive defense by calling (904) 701-0591. Our Jacksonville criminal defense attorneys are ready to guide you!