Jacksonville Beach Divorce Attorney
The decision to divorce – “Dissolution of Marriage” in Florida – often comes after months, sometimes years, of contemplation, discussion and attempts to resolve differences. Once the decision is made, you can trust our Jacksonville Beach divorce lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A to represent you with integrity and compassion.
Divorce in Florida
Florida is a no-fault divorce state. Some states require fault grounds, such as adultery or drug abuse, but Florida has no such requirement. A spouse only needs to say that the marriage is irretrievably broken. The state’s residency requirement also stipulates that at least one party be a Florida resident for six months prior to filing a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.
An uncontested divorce is generally less stressful, costs less and concludes quicker than a contested divorce. A divorce is uncontested when both spouses agree on all terms of the divorce. Even in uncontested divorce, we will guide you through the process and make sure all aspects are addressed in the divorce agreement. A Marital Settlement Agreement is presented to the court for approval. Uncontested divorce can be finalized quickly, usually in less than a few months, and does not require your presence in court.
A contested divorce happens whenever one spouse does not agree to an aspect of the divorce terms. The dispute could be about debt or assets, or which parent spends more time with the children. These circumstances require one spouse to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, and the other spouse is served. The spouse served has 20 days to respond. If mediation does not resolve the differences, the case goes to trial and a judge makes the final determination on the details of the divorce settlement. Contested divorce can take many months, even years, to resolve.
- How assets will be divided. Marital assets may include homes, cars, insurance, and investments.
- How debt will be divided. Marital debt may include mortgages and joint credit cards.
- Spousal support. Support is not required but is often part of agreements, particularly if one person is unable to support themselves and the other was the financial provider during the marriage.
- Child custody. Child custody includes a parenting plan that prioritizes the best interests of the children.
- Child support. Florida has guidelines that are based on the number of children and the parents’ income.
Reasons to Hire a Jacksonville Beach Divorce Lawyer
Regardless of whether both spouses agree on the divorce and all terms, there are several advantages to working with a lawyer.
- Describing ways to resolve issues, from mediation to litigation
- Developing a clear understanding of current finances and the implications
- Gathering evidence that supports your wishes in the settlement
- Negotiating for you
- Representing you before your spouse and their attorney
- Litigating the case in court
- Providing emotional support and advocacy
Representing Clients Throughout the Beach Cities Area, Including Ponte Vedra Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach
Our dedicated divorce lawyers realize that every divorce is different. From relatively simple to highly complex, we have the experience you need to reach a resolution as quickly as possible. We look not only at your current situation, but also what best serves your future, both personally and financially. Avoiding a divorce trial is advantageous in most situations, so we prioritize first attempting to come to an agreement out of court. If that is not possible, we will aggressively represent you before the judge at trial.
At The Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A, we understand divorce can be traumatic and emotionally charged. The sooner both parties can move forward, the better. Trust us to guide you through each step with care and dedication.
Call (904) 701-0591 today to schedule a consultation with a Jacksonville Beach divorce attorney.
Jacksonville Beach Office
484 Osceola Ave
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
*By Appointment Only
A Guided, Hands-On Approach
Step-by-Step Guidance for Any Legal Matter
A Compassionate Team
Your Story Matters - We're Here to Listen
90+ Years of Combined Legal Experience On Your Side
Top-Rated Ethics & Legal Skill – AV Preeminent® Rating
Trusted & Recommended
Trusted by the Media & Recommended by Our Clients
Top-Rated Personal Injury, DUI, & Criminal Defense Lawyer