Jacksonville Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
Approximately 100 Years of Combined Experience
The Jacksonville domestic violence lawyers of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. understand the embarrassment, frustration and anger that can come after being accused of domestic violence. If you have been accused of domestic violence, we urge you to contact the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. for top-notch legal representation.
Contact us right now to schedule a free consultation with an attorney for domestic violence charges in Jacksonville!
What Sets Us Apart?
- Approximately 100 Years Collective Experience
- Practice State and Federal Criminal Defense
- Selection for Super Lawyers®
- Former Prosecutor on Your Side
- AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
With a former prosecutor and former public defender on our legal team, you can rest assured that we know the prosecution and we know the defense. This insight into both sides allows us to stay one step ahead of the prosecution, all the while knowing which legal strategies can be used to provide our clients with the best possible defense.
What Constitutes Domestic Violence?
Florida Statutes Section 741.28 defines domestic violence as violence committed against a family member or household member.
Qualifying acts of violence include:
- Assault or aggravated assault
- Battery or aggravated battery
- Sexual assault and/or battery
- Stalking or aggravated stalking
- False imprisonment
- Any other act of violence is resulting in a physical injury against another family or household member.
Florida law recognizes and protects members of the household as well as ex-spouses and roommates who may have once lived in the household but no longer reside there.
This includes the following individuals:
Penalties of Domestic Violence Convictions
A domestic violence victim can file a petition requesting an injunction for protection against domestic violence, which may order the alleged abuser to:
- Stop committing further abuse
- Leave the home
- Surrender their firearms
- Stay away from the victim's residence, school, and workplace
- Penalties for Domestic Violence Convictions
If the alleged abuser is a mother or father, he or she may be ordered to relinquish custody of his or her children and may be ordered to pay child support.
If convicted of domestic violence, the offender faces:
- Restraining order
- Permanent criminal record
- Completion of a batterers intervention program
- Community control
If you are charged with domestic violence as well as another offense on top of it, such as sexual assault, you may face strict penalties resulting in jail time. In general, penalties associated with domestic violence fall under two categories, misdemeanors and felonies. For most misdemeanor charges, you can expect to serve anywhere from 60 days to a year in prison. Felony charges can result in prison sentences up to 5 years. Due to the severity of this, it's critical to call our domestic violence defense lawyers in Jacksonville for trial-tested legal representation.
Possible Defenses for Your Case
When you retain our legal services, you will receive a plan of action that is tailored to your unique circumstances. However, there are common defense strategies that are utilized in cases involving domestic violence. These include:
- The use of self-defense: you may legally use reasonable force to protect yourself or others. The fine line revolves around "reasonable force". This is where you will need an attorney.
- Personal agenda: there may be multiple reasons as to why someone in your household is accusing you of violence. Their agenda may differ based on their desires. This is often seen when child custody is at stake.
- There is a lack of evidence: if the prosecution cannot provide sufficient evidence, your case leans heavily in your favor.
- Alibi: If we can demonstrate that you were not present during the time of allegations, your case will lean in your favor.
Get a Lawyer for Domestic Violence Charges in Jacksonville
Innocent men and women are often falsely accused of domestic violence, especially in cases involving divorce or a child custody battle, where tensions might be high. A conviction for domestic violence can result in devastating consequences that could affect your personal and professional life.
When you have so much on the line, it is imperative you choose a skilled Jacksonville domestic violence lawyer from our firm. Not only do we have a proven track record of success, but you can also rest easy knowing our legal team can work tirelessly to provide you with the best legal strategies to defend you.
Start building a solid defense today. Contact us online or call (904) 701-0591 today to schedule your free one-hour consultation.
A Guided, Hands-On Approach
Step-by-Step Guidance for Any Legal Matter
A Compassionate Team
Your Story Matters - We're Here to Listen
Approximately 100 Years of Combined Legal Experience On Your Side
Top-Rated Ethics & Legal Skill – AV Preeminent® Rating
Trusted & Recommended
Trusted by the Media & Recommended by Our Clients
Top-Rated Personal Injury, DUI, & Criminal Defense Lawyer