Skip to Content

Is There Palimony in Florida?

Serving Families Throughout Jacksonville

Getting Financial Support After a Breakup

In some cases, support payments can be made after a split even when the couple was never married. This is known as "palimony."

Florida is not a palimony state. As a result, the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. does not take palimony cases.

However, do you have questions about getting financial support after a breakup in Florida, or about your right to pursue alimony? Our attorneys can review the details of your situation and advise you of what your legal options are. Our team is prepared to begin working on your case immediately, so don't wait.

Call (904) 701-0591 today to consult an attorney today!

What Is Palimony vs. Alimony?

"Palimony" is similar to alimony, but is for partners who are not married. “Alimony” is the legal term for payments made by the higher-earning spouse to the lower-earning spouse after a divorce, while “palimony” is a non-legal term for the same concept, but between non-married partners who separate.

Does Florida Recognize Palimony?

Although palimony is not a recognized legal term in Florida, it is informally used to describe financial support given by one person to another following the break-up of a long term relationship.

A spin on the word, "alimony," palimony applies to couples who were never married, but whose relationship involved many of the same financial entanglements which occur in a marriage. The courts in Jacksonville do not legally recognize such "common law" marriages. It may still be possible to secure palimony payments by bringing an action in court.

As a family law firm, we are dedicated to helping people solve the legal problems associated with family, marriage and relationship issues, even if you were never legally married to your partner.

Who Qualifies for Palimony in Florida?

Palimony claims are based on the concept of alimony payments that one spouse makes to another and which are part of any divorce proceeding. While the court will not finalize a divorce until any necessary provision has been made for spousal support, unmarried couples do not have this requirement for ending a relationship.

This may work to your advantage, if you have been the primary earner in the relationship, but if you have been economically dependent on your partner you could be left in financial difficulty unless you take action now. Palimony could provide you with the means to maintain your current standard of living, as well as assisting you in your transition back into single life.

How Do You Get Palimony?

Since Florida does not recognize palimony, you cannot technically get palimony in our state. However, if you have been involved in a long-term relationship and made a written agreement with your partner regarding future support or financial considerations, then you should speak to an attorney. It may be possible to pursue a financial settlement based on the written agreement, treating it similarly to a prenuptial agreement.

While marriage essentially creates certain economic responsibilities and contractual relationships by operation of law, a non-marital relationship does not automatically obligate either party to the other.

In proving your claim for palimony, it is helpful if you can point to written agreements, as well as any oral agreements or implied arrangements upon which you have been depending. Another factor which may influence your palimony suit is the fact that couples frequently purchase property together which ends up under the title of only one of the parties.

If your former significant other has title in a home, vehicle or other possessions for which you have been sharing the duty of payment, it is fair to expect that you should receive a portion of the value of such an item. Palimony payments could be a means of recovering the equity you have contributed to the investment.

Pursue the Financial Support You Need!

Our firm can carefully review the circumstances of your case, evaluating your chances of successfully demanding financial support from your former partner. We understand that this may be a highly stressful time in your life, filled with uncertainty about what the future brings. Let our legal skill and dedication to our clients support you and help you find a way through.

Contact us today or call (904) 701-0591 to speak with a lawyer and request a case evaluation!