Skip to Content

Charged with Violating Your Probation? What to do Next

Serving Families Throughout Jacksonville

When an individual pleads to a crime, they will sometimes be placed on probation instead of being handed a formal sentence. This arrangement requires a person to abide by certain conditions as established by the court as a way of avoiding jail time. If these conditions are broken, however, a person can be charged with violating their probation and can face serious legal consequences. If you should be charged with violating your probation, it is crucial that you understand your situation and take the appropriate measures to keep your circumstances from getting any worse.

How Can Probation be Violated?

There are a number of ways that a person can be charged with violating their probation. While the specifics will vary on a case-by-case basis, this type of charge can result if a person knowingly and willfully ignores, avoids, or otherwise breaks the terms that were established in their court order. Depending on the offense, these conditions must be followed for anywhere between one and five years.

Probation violation charges can result from the following:

  • Failing to appear at a designated court date
  • Failing to report to a probation officer
  • Not paying any court-ordered fines
  • Traveling to prohibited areas, such as across state lines
  • Using, selling, or possessing illicit drugs
  • Being arrested for another offense

What Happens Next?

There is no clear-cut rule that determines what happens after a person violates their probation. A probation officer can issue a warning or request that the defendant appear in court for a formal probation violation hearing. This will depend on the nature and severity of the supposed violation. If a judge determines that a person indeed violated their probation, they can impose penalties such as jail time, community service, fines, or any other method of correcting the behavior. In extreme cases, probation may be revoked completely, requiring the accused to serve their original sentence.

Contact a Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer

If you have been charged with violating your probation, it is vital that you retain the services of a trial-tested legal team to protect your rights in a court of law. At the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A., our highly skilled Jacksonville criminal defense attorneys understand the severity of your situation and can provide the aggressive defense you need during this difficult time. Having earned an AV® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® and a 2015 Super Lawyers® Designation, we have the skill and vast legal knowledge to tear apart the opposition’s claims and maximize your chances of securing a desirable outcome. To find out more about how our 90+ years of experience can help, contact our office online or call our office today at (904) 701-0591.

Share To: