Jacksonville Property Division Attorney
Get Sound Legal Counsel for Your Divorce
Courts generally uphold property division agreements made between spouses
if they are in writing and both parties have had the opportunity to consult
with their own lawyers. If an arbitrator or judge makes the decision,
property is divided equitably, which often means equally, but not always.
There could possibly be an unequal division after all the relevant circumstances
have been considered.
Factors the court will consider include:
- The length of the marriage
- The debts and liabilities of each spouse
- The overall economic circumstances of each spouse
- Whether minor children or either spouse will continue to live in the marital home
- Each spouse's contribution to the marriage as provider, parent, or homemaker
- Whether either spouse has intentionally wasted or destroyed marital assets
within two years preceding or after the divorce petition
- The contribution of either spouse to the career or education of the other
spouse, and whether either spouse's career or education was interrupted
during the marriage
Protecting Your Best Interests
It is always best when divorcing couples can reach their own agreement
about property division, as well as other issues involved in a
divorce. This keeps control in the hands of the parties instead of the court.
At the Law Offices of Jason K.S. Porter, P.A., our Jacksonville divorce
lawyer can evaluate your assets and work out an equitable property division
between you and your spouse. If an agreement cannot be reached, our firm
will take every effort necessary to protect your interests in court.
Our property division lawyers have more than 90 years of collective legal
experience. We have successfully represented many clients in
family law and divorce cases. Mr. Porter has a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent®
Rating and a 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating. Our firm's reputation for excellence
has been built on professional skill and commitment to the best possible
results for our clients. To find out what our clients think of our firm,
go here to see our
Contact our firm for skilled representation.